Saturday, February 14

A Single Girl's Guide to Valentine's Day

Long time no blog!!!! Life has been so crazy hectic (especially my studies with AP Exams slowly approaching) and I have not had the time or energy to throw together an awesome post, but nonetheless, here I am on February 14th to share my (an extremely single girl) guide to Valentine's Day! Valentine's Day isn't just a day to obsess over your short-term boyfriend or post overrated #RelationshipGoals, but to love on one another and to love yourself!

1. GALentine's Day
What better way to express your love then to spend Vday with your best gal pals? Your girls are the ones who have your back, make you laugh, make you cry, and support you no matter what, so celebrate friendship this Valentine's Day! Go on a picnic, grab some froyo, or just simply spend the day together; it will remind you of the best love you have in your life - from your girs! Here I'm lovin on my amazing friend, London! She is the sunflower in my life and I am so blessed by her friendship! This pic is from a super fun Josh Abbott Band concert last spring.


2. Chick Flick
Nothing screams "I'm single" on Valentine's Day more than a good ole chick flick. Try and stray away from super sappy gross lovey dovey cinemas like The Notebook, Titanic, or anything else by Nicholas Sparks. Red flag. Watch a movie that is self-empowering to women like Legally Blonde (current obsession), 10 Things I Hate About You or She's the Man. As single women, we cannot wallow in the sorrows of being single (which don't even exist because being single rocks), but we must celebrate ourselves as strong, capable females! Let's avoid 50 Shades of Grey this time around.


3. Mani-Pedi
Primp and (literally) polish yourself today with a mani-pedi at home or at the salon! I prefer at home because it's not $50 and I feel a sense of accomplishment whenever I do a good job! My favorite Valentine's Day red is OPI's "Big Apple Red which you can get here.


4. Heart-Shaped Pizza
This Valentine's classic is something my family and I love to prepare! For a low-key Vday, grab a heart-shaped pizza from your favorite pizza place to symbolize your love for pizza. My favorite thing to do is to get one from Papa Murphy's - a "take and bake" pizza joint where they prepare the pizza and you take it home uncooked to place in your oven; that way you get the pizza at it's prime - straight out of the oven.


5. TREAT YO SELF
Buy some tulips! Do some online shopping! Do something for yourself that you usually wouldn't do! Earlier this week I stopped by my local Kroger and picked up a pretty pink bunch, and I also ordered this adorable romper I've been eyeing recently from Necessary Clothing!


6. Be a Little Nerdy
Time spent with a good book is time well spent! Take a second to relax and pop open the book you've been putting on hold. My current read is The Opposite of Lonliness by Marina Keegan. I actually spent my Valentine's Day at a UIL Academic meet with some of my peers competing in Ready Writing, Science, and Mathematics. In this photo, I'm in the bottom row, third from the right. Tons of hard work, making ourselves think "why did we voluntarily sign up for this?" (partly to be Gabriella Montez from High School Musical), but tons of laughter occurred to balance out the work.


7. Date with Dad
If you're just dying to go on a s'cute Valentine's date, take one with the number one man in your life - your dad. My dad and I have been going to the "Daddy Daughter Dance" every year starting at age 4 and ending last year at 16. Along with the dance, my dad lets me pick any restaurant for dinner or dessert allowing the opportunity for fancy attire and getting the door held open for me, which is super nice. I am no longer young enough to attend the dance, but tomorrow night we are going to P.F. Changs for dinner. Here's last years picture, a little throwback to my first dance along side my last one sporting a dress & clutch from Forever 21, necklace from New York & Co, and heels from Madden Girl.


Valentine's Day is a day filled with love, and being single doesn't mean you have to be bitter and pop all the heart shaped balloons. Take this opportunity to express the love you have for the important people in your life, such as your family, gal pals, and most importantly, yourself. XOXO
Yours truly, Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment